Monday, July 24, 2006

Happy Pioneer Day


Unfortunately for me, I didn't dress like a pioneer today and convince my boss that today was a religious holiday and I should have the day off. She said that with the pioneer costume, I would have been a bit more convincing. So happy Pioneer Day to everyone. Here are some pictures of my famous pioneer ancestors, William Clayton & Ruth May Fox. I am deeply grateful for the contribution they made to my life and to so many others. These two both left their homes in England in the mid 1800's to join the Saints in the United States. William Clayton was the secretary to the prophet Joseph Smith in Nauvoo, Illinois and after Smith's martyrdom, he walked across the plains with his family to Utah. While walking across the plains, he wrote the famous hymn: "Come, come, ye saints." Ruth May Fox came to the United States with her father at a young age after he mother died in England. She worked as a child in Philadelphia and as a teenager, took a train to Missouri with her father and continued with a handcart all the way to Utah. She has always been a huge example to me of faith and endurance amid extreme hardships. If I had some fireworks here at my desk, I'd set them off right now.

No comments: