Saturday, March 10, 2007

EFY, I know why...


So tonight was mother/daughter bonding night. After spending the better part of the day watching my three nephews and most awesome niece ever, we needed some girl time. We went to get our nails done and then made the tough decision about where to go eat dinner. While here in Utah County, there are many places that I enjoy going since I can't eat there very often. After a bit of debating, my mom and I ventured to go to Cafe Rio on a Saturday night in Provo. What's not to love? The line is long so if you're on a first date, you have plenty of time to get to know each other, the food is always good, and if you're me, you can bet that you'll run into at least one person that you know. Then again, if you're me, you probably don't even have to go to Cafe Rio for this to happen to you.
But I digress.
We're standing in line when I see a girl waaaayyy up in the front of the line and she looks oddly familiar to me. I think about it for half a second and then I know where I know her from. When I was an EFY counselor at age 19 here at the BYU, she was a girl in my group. I couldn't quite recall her name, but I knew that it started with an "H" and strangeley, she was one of the girls that I had always wondered about and still thought very fondly of. Mind you...I was a counselor for 4 summers in a row. Every week I was personally over at least 10 girls. Multiply that by about 9 weeks, thats 90 girls a summer, and multiply that by 4, thats 360 girls that I was in charge of during those 4 years. This isn't even including the boys or other girls that were in my group during those weeks. Needless to say, I've spent a lot of quality time with teenagers in my day. I could go on and on and on about my time as an EFY counselor, but I'll spare you for now. Suddenly I was right next to this girl that I had known 6 years ago, but I didn't want to say anything for fear that she would have NO idea who I was and then I'd feel really dumb. Well, she grabbed my arm and said "Ummm...is your name Stephanie?" She remembered me! AND...her name is Hillary. She's 21 now and going to UVSC and wants to be an EFY counselor this summer. She even updated me on all of her friends from that week of EFY and told me how they're all married as she glanced at my left hand. ...ahem.

So this is my shout out today for EFY and how grateful I am that I was a counselor at it. Seriously. Changed my life. EFY...I DO know why!

1 comment:

Naomi Hinman said...

I was just playing on the net when I forund this post. I agree with you about EFY. It has done so much for me and I am so thankful for the girls I got to work with when I was a counselor. It is the greatest.