Monday, April 9, 2007

The Awakening...still reading it.

Its taken me quite a while to finish reading The Awakening by Kate Chopin and I'm actually still not finished. Last night I read a few chapters before going to bed and I read this:
“Why?” asked her companion. “Why do you love him when you ought not to?”
Edna, with a motion or two, dragged herself on her knees before Mademoiselle Reisz, who took the glowing face between her two hands.
“Why? Because his hair is brown and grows away from his temples; because he opens and shuts his eyes, and his nose is a little out of drawing, because he has two lips and square chin, and a little finger which he can’t straighten from having played baseball too energetically in his youth. Because –”
This struck me as one of the sweetest passages on love that I've ever read. Isn't that the way love is though? Most of the time we don't even know why we love someone. We just do. I've thought about this a lot lately. Love makes us blind; sometimes even temporarily insane. We've all done it: loved someone who just isn't good for us. Why do we do things that we know aren't good for us? (If that isn't the question of a lifetime!)
I dated and loved a guy once who I had never heard a good thing about before meeting him. All I'd ever heard was that he was a complete jerk and that info was from his family. Rad. But when I met him, I was convinced that he was different now that he knew me. Riiiggghhht. Learned that lesson the hard way. But did I keep dating him even when he treated me like dirt? Of course I did. Did I finally break up with him because I thought my friends were going to hurt me if I didn't do it? Yes.
Why did I love him? Well, because he had a full head of black hair and green eyes and had this awesome old blue Nike hat. Go figure.

2 comments:

cropstar said...

AMEN to everything. I love this post!
cheers, christy

Unknown said...

Love is blind; I think that every country has that saying - because it is true everywhere.

Here's to falling hard and then dusting yourself off and keep going.

Love you girly!
xox