Monday, August 13, 2007

Marie Curie


Early this morning I finished a book that I had been reading for a few weeks called Madame Curie. A friend of mine told me about the book a few months ago and days later, my Grandmother started telling me about the same book; how it was her very favorite book. Since I trust the opinions of these two women, I decided to check it out. I got the book (for free so that I didn't break the promise I made myself) from bookmooch and started reading it. Her work ethic is the most impressive thing about this woman. Sure, she's smart, but holy cow. She lived her entire life overworked and underfed by choice; just because she loved science and all that it offered her. Another amazing thing about the book is that it was written by her daughter, Eve. What an honorable way to have a biography written; by someone who loves and respects you. Marie Curie is the only person to have received 2 Nobel Prizes in different sciences (1 in physics, the other in chemistry), and she discovered Radium which has helped in the fight against cancer since the beginning of this century. Definitely a woman worth knowing more about. I think we could all use a little dose of her work ethic and her ability to serve those around her. The love that she had for her husband is touching; I'll even admit that I cried a bit while reading it. Definitely didn't expect that. So yea. Go read it.

No comments: