Friday, April 18, 2008

Always Something.

The other day while talking to a friend, something that they said sparked a memory in me of something I used to be involved in as an extracurricular activity. You see, my sister and I were always involved in some type of extracurricular activity. I've taken all sorts of classes in my lifetime and at times I like to think that all of these things make me a fairly well rounded person. In my last semester at Ricks College, these were the classes I took:
  • Shakespeare
  • Family and home management
  • Basic equitation (horseback riding)
  • Intermediate Clogging
  • Social Dance
  • Bowling
  • Travel & tourism
Gotta love Ricks College classes! But back to me and my sister. We were both playing the violin by the age of 5 and by the time I was 8, my sister was dancing and I was playing the piano (in addition to the violin stuff that we were already heavily involved in). In the summer, we were on swim team. We took roller skating lessons. My parents owned their own business and we worked there after school a lot of the time. We went to youth group at church, we went to summer camp. In elementary school and junior high, we participated for years in Odyssey of the Mind. Whoa. Did any of you out there also do OM? One year my team even went to the state level to compete. In high school we were on the color and winter guard teams and went to early morning seminary (EVERY DAY FOR FOUR YEARS at 6am, thank you).

There's lots of talk these days about over-scheduling your kids. I'm pretty sure that even if there would have been talk of this when I was younger, my parents wouldn't have cared - and I'm pretty sure that I enjoyed being busy. I often think that someday if I get married, I'll be living the slow life that I dream about. But then I think about the reality which is my life and know that this is never going to happen.

With all that said, is there anyone out there who would like to move for me this weekend? I need a break.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I totally can flip a flag and a rifle, and I also went to State for OM...create a musical instrument, baby. :o)

xox