Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I'd Much Rather Be, Forever In Blue Jeans

It seems that a frequent topic of conversation for me lately is that my life isn't quite what my blog portrays it to be. Or not even that - the conversations revolve around the fact that my blog normally portrays my life to be so fun - not a care in the world, that I'm always happy, etc.

I know that we've covered this before, but that was a while ago, so let's have a reminder.

While I do have a yellow personality which lends itself to me finding adventurous and fun things to do instead of *gasp* work, my life isn't always hunky dory. Because I know that a lot of people read my blog - family, friends from high school, friends from church, coworkers, etc., my posts can't just be about whatever is going on in my life.

I can't exactly post about:
  • running into my crush and consecutively thinking about him nonstop for the next 5 days straight - even though we've already had the "let's just be friends" talk.
  • going on a bad date
  • the time I cried myself to sleep
  • all the amazing things I found on the interweb that I think you should buy even though I don't own them myself.
  • crazy things that happen in my family.
  • disagreements with friends.
There are obvious advantages to being an anonymous blogger - you can say what you want to say and no one "really" knows who you are. However, I am not one of those people. I don't blog about the mundane things - you know, like laundry, or how I'm putting myself on a strict budget after reading Confessions of a Shopaholic. Blech - no one cares about those things. So to my friends and family out there who make comments to me about my life being so fun, just remember that it is, but that I'm real. and that I hope I convey that once and a while without getting too personal.

And since you might be wondering what spawned this post, I was reading a blog recently of someone that I know and everything just seems to be so perfect from the outside. But is it? There is also a well known blogger out there that I've met on several occasions and let me tell you - NOT the person that everyone thinks they are. Maybe including themselves. Is that mean? Should I have said that? I think I just did. And to some well known bloggers out there who are hoping that I didn't just call you out, you can rest assured that it isn't you. I don't think this person reads my blog like you do. Whew!

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Ah yes, I totally agree with you. That is often on my mind, especially after a friend of mine said to me, "You make having two kids look so easy." *Gasp, choke, sputter* What?! However, if I wrote posts about why having two kids isn't easy than everyone would just be reading about ... well, you don't want to hear about, right?
I love hearing about your adventures and being reminded every once in a while that you, like all of us, are human.

MrsEm said...

Shoot! I don't think I'm a "well-known-blogger," but I was hoping you were calling me out for having a dirty bathroom, weird hair and the boniest elbows on the planet. I don't enjoy it when people online think I'm perfect. Definitely not so. Imperfect is much better.

plain jane said...

I've definitely struggled with not being anonymous in the past so I know where you're coming from. Sometimes I just throw my hands in the air, announce that I don't care, and try to blog as if no one was reading ... but I always regret it the next day!

That said - I do enjoy reading about the fun you have.

Oh, and why can't you write about "all the amazing things I found on the interweb that I think you should buy?"

Alyssa said...

amen to this post. best post I've ever read.

Stacey said...

So True! Does anyone else really want to hear about the mundane or disappointing or truly sad through a blog?...over coffee with friends or a long phone coversation maybe, but not a blog. I love hearing about your adventures:)