Tuesday, April 17, 2012

We rode on an island in Rhode Island

Last weekend I went up to Rhode Island with some friends to celebrate Amber's birthday.  It was a very chill weekend and even though it was only a 3.5 hour drive away, Rhode Island somehow still hasn't had Spring.  It was sunny for the most part, so I will forgive Rhode Island for now.  We all put on our jackets and headed out to Block Island on Saturday.  


So maybe Robert and I sang "Part of Your World" for a while up on deck.



Isn't the Southeast Lighthouse beautiful?    I must have sung this song about a thousand times that day.  Which reminds me - you all know this song, right?  Seriously.  If you don't, who are you and how are we friends?






The view of the Southeast Lighthouse from the top of the Mohegan Bluffs.




Instead of shells on the beach there were awesome small granite rocks.  I think we all took at least one as a souvenir.

Robert, me, Amber

Someone gave us directions as follows: "Just take Ice Cream Lane and you'll see it at the end of the road."  I was waiting for her to say "Bundle up in the Peppermint Forest and then the Sugarplum Fairy will help you on your journey."  

We found Colin asleep on a bench toward the end of the day.  

This is the fanciest Weather Bureau I've ever seen.

Unfortunately Colin was already asleep on the bench when we were taking this photo, but here is most of our bike gang.  We rode all over Block Island.

Gifts with Sizzle.  Yep.

Sunday we were back on the main land and went over to The Breakers, which is an old Vanderbilt Estate in Newport.  As you probably already know, I love house tours so this was right up my alley.  There are a few photos of the inside of the house here.


Then we went to The Elms







We also ate some amazing seafood while we were in Rhode Island.  One of my favorites was called a Stuffie, which was a Quahog (clam) filled with sweat bread.  Not to be confused with sweatbread.  It was delicious.   (As was the lobster macaroni and cheese, lobster roll, fish & chips, calamari, clam chowder, etc.)


Unfortunately my phone was dead for most of the trip so I don't have as many photos as I wish I did.  Let me just say that it was so wonderful to just get away for a weekend with great friends where we had lots of laughs, slept a lot.  

For journaling purposes:

1. FAITHHHHHHHHH
2. Segways?  What segways?
3.  We're baaacckkkkk
4. He was her husband, not the grandpa.
5. Hey look, there's a lighthouse!


Dear Amber - thanks for being born.  You are awesome.  Happy Birthday!

xo
sz

Dear Uzi - Rhode Island is quite hilly.  Good luck ever roller blading across it; please wear knee & elbow pads.  xoxo

1 comment:

Erin Masi said...

Pete's Dragon!!!!!! Oh my goodness. We LOVED that movie growing up. Haven't thought of it in years!!

Sure do miss you!!
xoxo