Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Human slingshot


So today I was looking at my friend Josh's blog...and I found this article on there that was published in "The Scroll" which is the student newspaper at BYU-Idaho. I can't stop laughing. I hope that this picture of Josh helps with the visual of this. hahahah!!
"Mother's weekend may bring joy, but it can - in a roundabout way - also bring pain. Josh Porter, a senior from Charlotte, N.C., recalls a mishap that left his friend's mom in the hospital. 'Mother's weekend last year my friend Kendra Heap brought her mom and her little sister down for Mother's weekend, and her mom brought this game her family likes to play called the human slingshot,' Porter said. Heap and a group of friends joined together for the game.
'At first, my mom didnt' want to join in because her shoes were slick and she was afraid she would slip and fall,' Heap said.
'I had all kinds of excuses...I should have known better,' said Mary Heap, Kendra's mom.
The human slingshot consists of a rubber band large enough to hold four people facing one another.
'They bounce off the ends and kind of cross each other as they are going across the rubber band', Porter said.
After bouncing around in this human slingshot a couple of times, Mom Heap decided to take a bounce.
'She lost her balance and fell...and Josh fell directly on top of her,' Kendra said.
Mom Heap couldn't move. She tried to pull herself up, but to no avail. A couple of boys carried her into the house and gave her a blessing, then rushed her to the hospital.
After one bounce and a large human flying at her, Mom Heap had a broken pelvis.
'I spent the rest of the weekend in the hospital,' she said.
Kendra also stayed there with her mom.
'I felt really bad about that. It's about a year ago now, so I guess you can kind of laugh about it now,' Porter said.
Mom Heap spent the next two weeks recovering in a wheelchair.
...What did Mom Heap learn from her little adventure?
'I am not going to play any games with Josh,' Mom Heap said.

No comments: