Friday, July 7, 2006

My life is now complete

Boys, I'm not sure that you'll understand quite like a girl would, but have you ever gone to buy something, not been able to get it and then thought about it afterwards? Doesn't happen to me all too often, but once and a while, I'll think about something for so long that when I find it, it doesn't matter how much it costs. Well. I don't know about that, but I do know that I would do whatever I could to obtain the object of my long-sought-after desire. When I was 18 years old, I went with my family to Paris. I've always been a lover of art and I had a few small prints of Renoir paintings in my room when I was in high school. This love of art stems from both of my grandmothers and I love them for it. Back to the Paris story: While in Paris my family went to the Orsay Museum and I fell in love with these two paintings:

The one here on the left is called "Taniec na Wsi" and the one on the right is "Taniec w Miescie"

I love them like I love a sunny day in San Francisco. And that's a lot. I love the expressions on their faces for different reasons, but I could get more into that later. I bought the prints and hung them on the walls of my bedroom. But something was missing. My Grandma Clayton had painted a reproduction of "Taniec na Wsi" before I was born and since I loved it as a child, I had looked it up and knew that there was another "dance" picture somewhere in the world. I looked it up and learned that it was in Boston at the Museum of Fine Art. The following summer I worked for Especially for Youth as a counselor in Amherst, Massachusetts. We had a few hours in Boston one day and I decided that during the time I had, I was going to take a taxi over to the museum and buy the print of the other dancers. Unfortunately, we were there during an odd time of day and I didn't make it to the museum. I was sad.
Fast forward to last week when Kristy and I were planning our trip to Boston. I was looking at a tourist map of things to do in Boston when I saw the little square for the Museum of Fine Art. EUREKA. I could go get the print of the dancers that I had been longing for for the past 6 years. After walking the Freedom Trail on Sunday morning, Kristy and I made a bee-line for the museum and now look what I have in my posession:

With it, my life is complete. The other two paintings are still in "my" room in Utah, but when I'm there in August, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll be making a trip to California where they'll be re-matted and hung in my house in San Francisco. Yes, I've been lusting after this painting longer than I've ever lusted after anything in my life...yes, even you, journal that is still in Florence, Italy...and yes, even you, Matt Dickamore.

3 comments:

Steph said...

hey...just be happy for me that i'm happy with what i've got. if i had a spouse, trust me...i could find better things to be happy with. but i don't have one....and thanks for the reminder.

;)

Steph said...

oh and p.s. matt is my friend that i have travelled all over with...you remember him. he's the really tall guy who lots of people think is gay.

MATT said...

To answer the question posted by Pace and Joy, 'Matt Dickamore' is a real person and a guy with a...