Monday, October 23, 2006

A change will do you good...

The last year has been very interesting for me. My personal life has seen a lot of ups and downs. I've had a lot of reasons to cry and a lot of reasons to be happy. I've grown in ways that I never thought possible, but some challenges in my life seem like they'll never go away. I don't think I'll ever experience a year with so many polar opposites. I've lost a few loved ones and met more incredible people than I can even talk about. With all of this going on, sometimes its nice to just get away for a while. Last night I cancelled my dinner plans and called my aunt who lives about 20 minutes away. I asked her if I could just come over and chill for a while. My cousin and her kids/husband were there, as well as my 93(almost 94)year old grandmother. I heated up leftovers from their dinner, taught my aunt more about her computer, laughed with my uncle, talked about my poo, and plucked chin hairs with my aunt. I spent a lot of my formative years in that house, so whenever I'm there, I feel like I'm not only at home, but that I'm on vacation. Nothing is expected of me, I get to laugh with people who really know how to make me laugh, and I even got to play with the cat and dog. Sometimes its nice to be with people who have the same chin hair problem that you do and who you know will walk you out to the car and kiss you on the cheek every time you leave. I've thought a lot about moving to the east coast recently, but a few weeks ago when I was with my family on the beach in Tiburon and my cousins kids were sitting on my lap, I realized that for right now at least, this is where I want to be.

No comments: