Thursday, June 7, 2007

When To Take Advice

I've always been an independent person. I do what I want to regardless of what I think other people will think of me. I'm not too proud to say that I'm wrong if it turns out to be that way, but I'd rather find out for myself. I'm just like my dad in that way. I've done a lot of things in my life that have surprised me and people close to me. Looking back though, I've done what's been right for me. Making those choices hasn't always been easy, but only you really know what the right choice is for you, not matter what anyone else thinks.

This is my problem: before I do something, I usually tell someone that I'm going to do it. Then some wise-guy says: "Not a good idea." Now that I'm noticing this pattern, I think I'm going to stop. Who the hell cares what someone else thinks about a decision that I'm going to make? My life, my consequences. Now that it sounds like I'm mad, let me tell you that I'm not. I'm just tired of being made to feel like an idiot by people who don't agree with things I'm going to do.

I've learned that good friends are those who support you no matter what you decide to do. When I was at Utah State a few years back, I decided to drop out of school for. a. guy. Seems just the type of thing that I NEVER would have done before I actually did it. At the ripe old age of 21, I packed up my bags, moved in with Mom & Dad, and started working late into the night doing telephone surveys. Did you hear me? Telephone Surveys. Oh...and I worked as a substitute teacher during the day for Middle Schoolers. All in the name of saving money for me and my sweetheart for when we got married. Oh, wait. Yeah...didn't quite close the deal on that one. You know what though? It's OK. I had amazing friends at Utah State. In fact, three of them are some of my closest friends still. They thought I was crazy at the time and still make fun of me for leaving like I did. BUT...they never told me once that I shouldn't do it. They said that I was crazy, but that if I really felt like it was what I needed to do, then I should go for it. In fact, they're still telling me the same thing today.

Some of the best advice I've ever heard is: "Don't listen to anyone else." How ironic.

2 comments:

Uzi said...

That's awesome! I'm a huge supporter of someone doing what is best for them. :)

Kimberly Badger said...

There is a part of me that wishes I could be a little more like this. I spend WAY too much time worrying about what others think. Somwhere in the world of "perfect" I'm guessing there has to be a good balance. Way to take risks though. I know you've learned a lot! :o)