Sunday, July 8, 2007

S-A-T-U-R-DAY HIKE!

Lets be honest. I've never been too much of a fan of hiking and/or the outdoors. My mom is NOT a camper. I mean...staying in a hotel here is more her style of camping, so I was never really exposed to the fun you can have in the great outdoors.
The opportunity for me to go hiking has been there in abundance lately and I've really taken advantage of it. This last weekend, I was invited to go to University Falls which is a place in the middle of nowhere. It took us about 4 hours just to drive there and then it was a few mile hike in.The weather was perfect; warm/almost hot in the sun and just enough cooler in the shade to really enjoy it. Considering the horrible weather in San Francisco that morning when I left, I was loving it. The one really nice thing about summer time in the bay area is that if you're cold in the city, all you have to do is leave.
The hike was long, but once we got there, it was worth it. The picture that I posted on Friday makes these falls look pretty small, but this picture helps you realize just how big they really are. The picture below is from the top of the falls. Like usual, the pictures just don't do it justice. It was SO BEAUTIFUL!
There were four sets of falls with slides into each pool at the bottom. The moss on the granite made it quite easy to just slide right down into the freezing water. I got a bit of swimmers ear from my first jump, but it was still great.
Here's Andrew(the organizer) and his friend Rustin going down one of the slides.
If you want more information on how to go to this great place yourself, click here. By the time we got back to the car, I was more thirsty than I think I ever have been in my whole life. Like, so thirsty I could not go on, thirsty. This is me in the car two hours and three huge glasses of water later. I didn't even have to stop on the way home, folks. I think I was about to turn into a little raisin.I got home at 9pm, took a looooonnnngggg hot shower, and fell asleep on my beloved couch at 10pm. Ah, what a day.

No comments: