Monday, July 9, 2007

Howard's End & Never Let Me GO

For some reason, I've really been into reading lately. Maybe its because of my resolution to not buy any new books until I finish the ones I have. In the past week, I've been able to cross two of the books off of my list.
I read Howard's End by E.M. Forster first. This book was written at the beginning of the 20th Century and it was definitely one of those books that even though it took me a while to get through, I wasn't completely gripped. I didn't really care what happened to all the characters; I just wanted the story to end. Don't get me wrong; it wasn't that I didn't like the story. It was very complex and interesting. I just didn't relate in any way. I guess I'm realizing more and more that my criteria for really enjoying a book is the following:
1. I must relate to it in some way.
2. I have to learn an important lesson.
3. I must laugh and/or cry.
Not all of these things must be present, but at least one of them has to be if I'm going to really enjoy a book. As far as Howard's End is concerned, it is really a commentary on hypocrisy among the bourgeoisie in British society at the time it was written. Considering that I didn't live in the UK then and I don't know a whole lot about what was going on at the time: Bo-ring. If you want to see a plot summary, click here.
I did watch the movie though with Roommate and it was beautifully made. It won some Academy Awards, so if you haven't seen it and you don't mind semi-depressing British novels, check it out. :) Based on my newly-developed rating system, I give it 1 of 4 stars. I can't give it a 0 of 3 because I didn't hate it. I just didn't like it. Only my opinion though; maybe you will.

Moving on.

The next book I read is called "Never Let Me Go" and its written by Kazuo Ishiguro who is also a British author. The story is quite different from the previous novel and while I don't want to give away too information since the real story is revealed chapter by chapter, I'll tell you that there are major science fiction undertones, but written like your average novel about normal things.
It was heartbreaking, but I didn't cry. It just made me sad. Sad in a way that I didn't expect, but I felt more void of hope for the characters than I have in any other novel that I've ever read. 3 of 4 stars. Read it. What if this is what our world came to? Terrifying.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I bought this book about a year ago and it's in my reading queue along with about 50 other books. I, too, have a book buying problem. I, however, have made no such resolutions to stop buying until I read them all!

Bottom line: You made me excited to read it :)