Wednesday, October 3, 2007

How To Make Your Own Free Rug

Last week as you know, I was visiting Melissa working in DC. Melissa is a carpet sales rep for a high end carpet company, so one night when I visited her at her office before getting pedicures, I noticed that there were shelves of carpet samples in the conference room. I asked if there were any that I could maybe have. She loaded me up with all sorts of discontinued samples of carpet. I'm not talking the huge kind that you sat on in nursery school; the samples that she gave me are like 8" by 8".

I loaded up my suitcases with all 36 of them (they actually fit quite nicely) and brought them home with the rest of my things at no additional charge. Half the work was done. I told my mother earlier this evening that I was planning on connecting these pieces of carpet together to make a large rug for my room and she suggested carpet tape instead of making holes in every corner of the samples. Genius. Way to go, mom.

So here are the steps:

1. Find yourself a best friend who is also a carpet sales rep. If you can't get one of these, maybe you should go to your local carpet store and ask them for some free samples. My way works better, but do what you have to do.

2. Go to your local hardware store and buy a few rolls of carpet tape. I needed two of the big rolls to complete the project. They cost me $5 each.

3. Ask your super crafty, artsy, and awesome roommate to help you come up with a layout for your potential rug. Here's our initial design.


4. I found it easiest to turn the rug over in sections of four and tape these together first to make the entire rug stronger.
5. Turn all of the squares that you've taped together over and connect them. Keep in mind that carpet tape is very strong and so you don't need a lot of tape.


6. Wha-la. You have yourself an awesome patch-work rug. And all it cost you was $10 for the tape. Beat that.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

you had to put the nasty picture of me up. I still think you're weird

Melissa said...

Okay... so I was watching HGTV on saturday and guess what they made!? A rug out of carpet samples. Only they used duck tape and it kept falling apart, maybe you need to help them out and give them a few tips.