Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sweepers

Someone I was with tonight made a very interesting comment that I'd like to talk about briefly. This friend of mine was telling me that he was giving his roommate relationship advice and the advice he gave was to be a "Sweeper." What he meant by that is just this: If you like a girl, don't spend so much time questioning yourself. Just jump in and sweep her off her feet. Better to put your whole heart in it and take the risk.

Seeing the movie "Enchanted" this past weekend has made me think a lot about this as well. I can only really speak for myself, but as a little girl, I was taught (from movies and fairy tales) that one day a "prince" will ride up on his horse and sweep me off my feet and carry me off into the sunset. At the age of 21, I was swept off my feet. I thought I'd live forever with my handsome prince, but somehow there was a mixup and we didn't go riding off into the sunset together like I thought we would. I try to tell myself though that the magic that I once felt when this happened can happen again. I can still meet someone else who can sweet me off my feet, turn my life around and make me feel like a deer in the headlights like I did those years ago.

My point is this. I wish that guys would just take more initiative and more of a chance on relationships. If a guy likes a girl, then he should jump in with both feet. If you do it, what do you have to lose? Everything. If you don't do it, what do you have to lose? Everything. So you might as well give it a shot, right?

2 comments:

cropstar said...

amen sister! a-freakin-men

Sealion II said...

Could we please phrase this question in terms of "What do you have to gain?"

Because, well, being told that one stands to lose everything either way is not really conducive to risk-taking. :-/