Friday, January 11, 2008

Reviews For One and All




The last few weeks I've been into movies. Maybe this weekend I can continue the tradition since 27 Dresses opens tomorrow! Anyway, last week I read "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle, which I had never read before. Not sure how I made it out of grammar school without having read it, but my sister read it and liked it, and since she tended to prefer books called "Before Dishonor - Star Trek the Next Generation" and I typically preferred to read books called "Dear Mom, You're Ruining My Life," I probably thought I wouldn't like it. The other day I picked it up off my shelf since the power was out and I couldn't do much of anything else and I read the whole thing. Pants down one of my favorite children's books of all time. Is there a good movie of this out there that anyone knows of? Let me know if you do.

Moving on to movie time. I saw Juno and P.S. I Love You. I read the book of the latter and while I enjoyed both in the theater and both made me cry, I wasn't as impressed with Juno as many people led me to believe that I would be. While I thought it was a realistic approach to teenage pregnancy, I also thought it was a abnormally casual way to approach it. If you haven't seen it and you're interested in it, check it out. If not, I don't think you're missing a whole lot other than a small piece of pop culture. P.S. I Love You was different than the book, which was expected and in a good way. While I really enjoyed the book, I enjoyed the movie for what it was and left me feeling really good and optimistic about love in general. Go see it. You won't be sorry.

3 comments:

House of Smiths said...

Hey Steph,
I love you blog. I don't ever have to google ANYTHING because I always can count on getting great reviews from you. lol. Hey, I have a favor to ask. You always seem to be reading great, fun, FUNNY, and well... just good books. I want a little list of some of your all time favorite books that you've read! I really want to get a book, that well... to tell you the truth, I can ENJOY reading. The worst is when you get a book, start reading it, hope it gets better, finish it, just for the sake that you started it, and well... at the end, think to yourself... I can't believe I FINISHED that stupid book. LOL. I want to be able to read a good book at the end of the day that I don't really have to "think" so much about. (does that make any sense) haha Anyway, I'm just interested in your faves. Let me know when you get a chance. Thanks!
Shelley

Heather said...

This may be the first time I've totally disagreed with you! I thought Juno was fantastic; super smart, well-written with equal parts biting wit and emotional feeling, and exceptionally acted!

Adrienne said...

Stephanie,
I'm glad that you found me and said "hi." I too, LOVE your blog. Thanks for your review of Juno. I have been dying to see it, but I have been worried that it will not live up to all of the hype. Now, maybe I won't expect as much.