Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Day 9 - El Dia Final

The last day that we spent in Spain, I woke up on a train. I do have to say that I'm pretty lucky that I am able to sleep sitting up, but a 9 hour train ride when the train car smells like g-funk is never fun. We got into Madrid some time around 9 am and my first thought was "I need a Coca light." And I tell you what; having a soda explode all over you first thing in the morning is always pleasant.

But maybe some jamon flavored chips would make me feel better. Mmmmm...bacon.

Our first stop was to see the Madrid Temple. I was sad that it was Monday and the temple was closed, but we did get to freshen up a bit there. And that's why I pay tithing. ha.

And after some major drama at the train station, we made our way to the town of Segovia which is about an hour north of Madrid by car, but by train, it took us 3 hours. The picture below is so not mine or Scott's or Deb's, but this is a picture of the castle in Segovia. And now, Rapunzel is going to pop her head out of the window and let down her hair.

Inside the castle there were a bunch of suits of armor and the things that always stike me about armor are these:
  • How does one get the armor on?
  • How does one fight with all that crap strapped to them?
  • Chafing?
  • Why was a 7 year old wearing it????
Check out this view. Doesn't it look like a painting? Estupendo!

I think that by the time we saw this castle, we were a little overdone on castles. I mean - they are beautiful and all, but you can only take so many of them for days in a row before they all start looking the same. And you might notice that I'm wearing the same clothes that I was wearing yesterday. Stop judging me. I slept on a nasty train.


The entire town was just so beautiful and picturesque!

By the time we got to the Plaza Mayor in town, the sun was setting and we were getting hungry.
Check out their gothic cathedral right before we went to dinner.

And then this is after, thanks to Scott's really nice camera.

We went to a restaurant that the cab driver had recommended to us called Las Cuevas de San Esteban. Random name for a restaurant, but hey - ratatouille was on the menu and so were croquettes of jamon y queso. Perfect way to end our Spanish adventure. Here's Deb with the ratatouille, looking hot as usual.

One of the coolest things about Segovia is their Roman Aqueduct. It was used until the 1960's I'm pretty sure - isn't that crazy? The city of Segovia got their water from a contraption that was built over 2000 years ago! Crazy! And just because I want you to see what this place looks like during the day: Here's a pic of the aqueduct during the day.
"How come ever time I turn around my aqua aqua-duct is coming down?"

And of course we had to have a little desert. And maybe it started raining and we needed shelter.

This is the last picture of the three of us together on our trip. Seriously, we had some really good laughs on our trip. We talked about everything you can imagine and even drew an org chart for each other of our respective peeps. I mean - you get to know a lot about people when you travel with them so you might as well get a flow chart so that you know when/what/who/why. And I do have to say that nothing I learned about Scott or Deb was negative. Such great people. We each had our respective roles. I was the planner, Deb was the accountant, and Scott was the idealist. Each of us needed for sure.

Ok so now on to actually having to think about something in which to blog about. :) Adios pero viva Espana!

1 comment:

Camie said...

Ok, amazing photos and I am jealous, but I am totally LMAO at the "that's why I pay tithing" comment. Classic!