Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Things One Can Do With Fire

On Friday night, I got a last minute call to see if I wanted to go see the Chihuly exhibit at the DeYoung museum. Of course I jumped at the chance since I've always loved his work - after seeing random pieces at the Olympics in Salt Lake in 2002 and at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Needless to say, this exhibit did not disappoint. Every piece was just breathtaking. I've seen glass blown a few different times - in Venice and in Bath and it is definitely no easy task - I can't even imagine the process for making every piece of Chihuly's artwork. The picture below is similar to one of the rooms of the exhibit - pieces of glass are placed on top of a piece of glass that you walk under. The pieces are all so intricate and if you look closely you can even see little people floating randomly throughout.

This goes without saying, but if you are in town, go see it now. And if you don't want to go see it alone, give me a call - I'd love to see it again. One of the coolest things about the DeYoung is that on Friday nights, the museum stays open until 8:45 and they have live music in the atrium. Lucky for us we were able to catch the last song of the jazz band and get a little dancing in. So much fun!

On our way back to the car, I wanted to go check out the reconstruction that they are doing on the shell in the music concourse, and we found some people doing some pyrotechnic circus routines - granted, these may have a real name, but I have no idea what it is.

We watched them for quite a while and saw some really amazing things. I'm not really sure how one gets involved in learning how to spin fire around their body, but it was pretty cool to watch. I can't think of a better way to spend an evening in San Francisco. From art to dancing to a live jazz band to watching pyrotechnic routines in the park, everything about it was perfect.

1 comment:

Jeff and Kristy said...

That is so cool I heard that his art was there at the Museum. That would be nice if we could go see it but I don't know how long it will be there.