Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Another year, another race.

I'm in the midst of training again. With each race I run, I think that it will be the last, but really, I know that if I want to stay in shape, a race is a good goal to have. Keeps me going on those hard days when all I want to do is lay on my big red couch.

I've had some questions recently on how I train. Other than my amazing roommate Rita teaching me how to begin running (you might have to talk to her to get those tips) I thought I'd give you a bit of insight. There are tons of training schedules on the internet. Tons! I have books that tell you run for a certain amount of time instead of distance; Hal Higdon has various schedules for novice runners to very experienced marathoners; Jeff Galloway has some really great racing tips , etc. Really, there are more schedules out there than I can tell you about. I used one on Oprah.com for my first half marathon, but I can't find it now. My best advice is to find a schedule that works for you. And also keep in mind that I'm not a fabulous runner - but I try hard.

And one more tidbit of advice from me about running. Lately, I've found that podcasts are WAY better for me when I run than music. I think it has something to do with my mind being completley occupied by the talking and learning instead of just going along with the beat of the music. It is making all the difference in the world - seriously. Give it a shot.

No comments: