Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Le jour passé à Paris

These pictures are from my last day in Paris, which means that on this day, we had to cram everything in that we hadn't done yet and wanted to do together. And for fun, I thought I would show you that the Americans aren't the only ones who are crazy about Edward and Bella. These huge posters were everywhere on the Subway walls. Along with posters for Australia with Nicole Kidman and the new Brad Pitt movie. I mean - I even remember from when I was in Paris as an 18 year old that the movie "The End of the Affair" was out then because there were so many posters. Cost of advertising must be cheaper in France due to the quantity of possible advertising locations. Anyway -

On our way to church Sunday morning, I decided that I didn't want to wear pants into church and then go change in the bathroom since I had my knee high boots on, and then its complicated to change. Problem solved. I put my skirt on over my pants and then rolled up my pants under my skirt. And of course, I did this all on the metro. If you check out my left knee, you can see my awesome infected band-aid from my fall the previous Sunday. The best thing about my outfit was that you couldn't tell at all that I had pants on under my skirt.

Right after church, we took advantage of "First Sunday of the month=Free Museums in Paris" day. The last time I came to Paris, the Louvre workers actually went on strike. The one day we were able to go. Sad! Lucky for me, Kristine was willing to go back so that I could see some of the highlights, which included:

Nike

Mona Lisa. Time spent in this room = 5 seconds.


Psyche & Cupid

Venus de Milo

Afterwards, we went to the artist's square and Kristine had her portrait drawn. She doesn't think it looks like her, but I do!

Even if you don't go to the artist's square, going up to the Sacre Coeur is totally worth the view of Paris.

Later that night we went to the museum of modern art, the Pompidou, and to be honest, my feet were done. I just couldn't walk around the museums anymore. Kristine does the exhibits way more justice than I could give them, so click here if you'd like to read about that. On our way home, we tried unsuccesfully to go to a Souffle restaurant, and in our attempt to stay warm, just ended up eating at the nearest place we could.

Monday morning came too fast and I was sad to say goodbye to Kristine. I have a feeling though that this New Years Eve trip won't be our last together. So much fun - and what adventures we had.

I could write an entirely separate post on my flight home since we were snowed in on the runway for 5 hours and then had a 9 hour flight back to Dallas. I nearly missed the last flight to Salt Lake which was also delayed and got in at 1am. I had plans to take Matt out for his 30th birthday, but turns out all he got was a few hours of sleep and a hug. C'est la vie. I'm just glad I made it home to San Francisco on Tuesday morning on my originally scheduled flight. I even went into work by noon that day!

And with that, I will start tomorrow with our regularly scheduled programming.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay Steph, you made me cry. What a sap I am. I loved this post! made me miss Paris and France so much! I am an emotional wreck when I am there because I love it so much. I loved reading all that you did and seeing the pics. The last time I went to the Louvre I was by myself. I wish I had gone last time.My mom wants me to travel again with her this Spring to my memes but I don't think I will be able to. :( Thank you for a walk down memory lane and I am happy you traveled safely. Love ya!

Uzi said...

Aahh Mona Lisa.
Reminds me of the time I was there and had some Asian rest his camera on my head so he could get a picture.

.....what the.....! Crasians!
(short for "crazy Asians")