Sunday, January 11, 2009

San Franidazzle - 2008

I realize that it is the middle of January and these pictures are about a month old. I would skip this all together, but I know you'd be so sad. And frankly, so would I. I don't think I talked about this party very much before having it, so let me give you a little background.

My dear friend Mauri who lives in DC has hosted a Christmas party for the past few years, which she calls "Holidazzle." Upon hearing about this party a few years back, I was completely enthralled with the idea of hosting a fancy Christmas dinner party. I've even tried to get my roommates on board in 2006 and 2007, but 2008 was our year. Basically, there are some requirements - that are all based on Holidazzle. There are printed invitations. There is a nice seated meal. An activity of some sort is involved - as well as sometimes a musical number. Between six of us girls, we tackled those projects and then some. Here is the proof:

This picture is from my phone, so excuse the bad quality, but this is what everyone received in the mail.

My date: the infamous Scott Porter. He was in town for work and stayed an extra day so that he could dazzle it up with us. As usual, he was the hit of the party. Really, ladies, if you need to take a great date somewhere, you need to contact this guy. And please notice his blue velvet tuxedo jacket.

Kristine was in charge of background music. On top of being a fabulous Christmas party, this was a mini reunion with Kristine as well - she had just arrived back from France for the holiday a few days before this - and we are so glad she came!

Next on the list - before dinner, make Christmas ornaments...

And then hang them on the tree.

After dinner Kristine and I provided the musical number:
The First Noel

Then play bingo with awesome movie ticket prizes.

And you'd better believe that I'm saving the best part of the evening for last:
THE FOOD!!!!!
Andrea did an amazing job making the food - I seriously think about the food on a daily basis and it has been over a month. It was that delicious. But because we were all about the details, here is what our kitchen looked like - Kirsten decorated it beautifully, didn't she?


And here is the food - I'm stealing this from Kristine's blog since she is better at describing food than I am: Course 1 - Salad greens with pomegranate seeds, grapefruit, avocado, and hicama cut out in little snowflakes.

Course 2 - Pear slices baked with brie and wrapped in proscuitto with a honey glaze
(I'm drooling just looking at these - seriously the best thing I have EVER eaten)

Course 3 - Homemade ravioli stuffed with butternut squash and pistachios and drizzled with a browned butter and sage sauce aside a dollop of alfredo cream.

Course 4 - Beef Wellington - filet mignon and pate baked in a pastry shell that had little star decorations on top.

Course 5 was dessert - A trio of desserts. Homemade baklava. Orange chocolate mousse. And a white chocolate tartelette topped with candied cranberries. {no picture though - sorry!} It was at about this time that our crazy neighbor started pounding on the wall, which could be an entire post on its own.

And to top off the evening, here we are prom style in the living room.
Left to right:
{Andrea, Ryan, me, Scott, Kirsten, Marcello, Krista, Clay, Rita, Jonas, Kristine, and Jay}

Hands (Pants) down, this was one of the best parties I've ever been to - and this definitely will just be the first in many San Franidazzles yet to come. The food was to die for, thanks to Andrea's mad skills in the kitchen, the decorations were beautiful, the dates were all great, and most of all, it was great to all be together at Christmas with such amazing friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go!!! This looks fantastical! Salt Lakidazzle just doesn't have the same ring, but this is gorgeous! Love it!

xox

Bethany said...

You certainly know how to throw a party! That looks like a lot of fun ... my mouth is watering over that food.

Amy said...

Oh man, you were right about the drooling. That food looks amazing!