Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My taste in movies - not so hip - and I like it.

Way back in the day when I lived in Provo, I was dating a guy who really liked to go see movies on $.50 night at the dollar movie theater. We went almost every week and one day he called me while I was at work and told me that we were going to go see a movie later that night. Since we went to the theater so often, I knew what movies were playing; we had already talked about them. The options were: Tuck Everlasting and The Ring.

When we started dating, we had talked about the fact that I hate scary movies. For the most part, I think that guys think that I mean to say "I don't like scary movies but if your big strong arms are around me, I will love it." They would also be wrong. I don't use the word "hate" lightly when talking about scary movies.

We get to the theater that evening and I'm thinking that "Oh he's so sweet that he's taking me to see Tuck Everlasting" - Obviously he knows I don't like scary movies and would never take me to see The Ring. That is where I was wrong. He dragged me past the theater where Tuck Everlasting was playing and plopped me right down in front of the screen where The Ring was about to start. And maybe this is where our relationship started to sour, but I told him that I'd give him his 50 cents back, but that I wasn't going to watch. And did I leave the theater? No - I just folded my arms and closed my eyes - which is where I stayed for the next two hours. So ok - maybe I opened my eyes once and a while if I knew that it wasn't scary time, but for about 75% of the movie, all I saw was the back of my eyelids.

I can't lie - just putting this picture on my blog gives me goosebumps. Ugh!

Why am I telling you this story? Why am I freaking myself out? I just wanted to report that I watched Tuck Everlasting tonight. Finally. Almost exactly 6 years later. What's not to love about Alexis Bleidel? And Jonathan Jackson?

And I absolutely loved it. Surprise, surprise. I'm so glad that I'm at a place in life where I always pick the movies - and they are never scary.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Ooh, I loved Tuck Everlasting. I think we have very similar taste in movies; impeccable taste, of course.

Uzi said...

The Ring........aahhhhh! Remember that one time when I watched it over at Adams house. The next day I was at Fisherman's Wharf taking pictures of me in my soon to be new Paris Hilton sunglasses for our Halloween costume, and how EVERY picture I took, i was blurry! AAAHHH good thing I got past the 7 days until death.

Joy said...

I'm with you-- can't STAND scary movies because they remain on my mind for the rest of forever!!! Better to just stick with the Tuck Everlasting type movies! :)

JBlue said...

Thats right!! You do what you want!!

Beverly B. said...

I hate scary movies too!

Juli said...

Thanks a lot for giving me the goosebumps too!