Thursday, June 6, 2013

Memorial Day

This year, for the first time in 7 years, I did not go to North Carolina for Memorial Day weekend.  Micah and I talked about what we were going to do instead for a while and when it came right down to it, staying close to town was what we decided to do.

On Saturday morning we went upstate to do one of my very favorite things: Historic Home Tour.  I'd heard of the Rockefeller mansion, Kykuit many times since moving here and since it is only about 30 minutes away up the river, we decided to go.  Josh and Carly came with us and it made for quite an enjoyable day.



Might I add that it was freezing cold - I was wishing all morning that I had my sleeping bag coat on.  The house was beautiful, but compared to the other historic home tours that I've been on, this wasn't my favorite. The Vanderbilts were much more extravagent with their money and had dance/banquet halls and beautiful staircases.  The Rockefellers, not as much; though they did have a great old car collection in the barn.

On Sunday I had dinner with some of my best friends in Brooklyn.  I don't know why we didn't get a picture with all of us in it, but at least I did get a photo of the Savages in their matching red pants.  Side note: RED PANTS!  I am just so glad to live close to friends who have become family to me over the last 13 years.  Hopefully soon we can all get together again.


Monday morning came early and off we went again in a rental car to find more adventure.  This time, it was in the form of zip-lining.  The last time I'd gone was here and I wasn't sure how it would be in the good ol' US of A.  Turns out, they are hard core about safety, which I guess is a good thing, but gets annoying when someone checks the harness you're wearing every 5 minutes to make sure it is OK.  In case you're wondering, we went to Hunter Mountain for this.  Luckily a lady that we were with took this photo of me on the last rope and although it looks like I'm smiling, I hope you click on the photo to get a closer look.  Thanks, Shayla, for coming with us!


After our adventure, we went to Woodstock to get lunch.  This is the only photo I got since there was a man on the street with a python and I almost passed out and had to run across the street the instant I saw it.


A few hours and diet cokes later, we were home in our urban jungle and saying goodbye to these fools who moved to Utah for the summer...


Dear British friends - giving you the bird was unintentional.  maybe.

If polygamy ever gets reinstated, ...

...things will get awkward.

el fin.

No comments: