Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Making the most of my Monday

While it is true that I grew up on the East Coast and consider it to be my real "home," I am originally from the Bay Area. I lived here as a little girl and still have significant family who live within a reasonable distance. I can get to an aunt, cousin, or grandmother within an hour in almost any direction. For the holidays that I wouldn't be spending with my immediate family, I feel like I always have an option to be with family here and I know that I'm always welcome to drop by and visit whenever I want or need to. The only bad thing about being so close is that I often feel guilty for not spending as much time with my Grandmother as I ought to. I mean...she's 94 and although she still lives on her own and is in good health, she's not going to live forever. I definitely feel like I need to make the most of the time that I have with her.

Since Monday was a holiday and I hadn't seen Justin and Silvia since their wedding last month, I decided that it was high time I went to visit. I also felt bad since the last time I'd been to Vallejo to see my Grandmother was in October. So, after a good suggestion from a friend, I decided to take my Grandma down to Santa Cruz with me to spend the day with Silvia. The weather was the pits, but like any good day with Silvia, we talked, ate, talked, and ate some more. And as an added bonus, Silvia has been going to massage therapy school, so she was able to give me an awesome massage and I got an adjustment from Justin who is just starting his chiropractic business! We had manicotti for dinner, which is Silvia's favorite, and it was really nice to just sit and talk about whatever was on our minds.

Gotta love that - killing two birds with one stone, even if I had to drive 6 hours in the rain. What's the last time you got a great deal on spending time with multiple people you love?

No comments: