Thursday, February 28, 2008

I'm feeling neighborly

Behind my apartment we have a Laugher. A Laugher, by the 2008 SZ Dicitionary, is someone who keeps their windows open at all times and decides that whenever they are close to the open window, that they will laugh as loud as they can so that everyone within an earshot can hear that they are laughing and you aren't. To the best of my knowledge, no one in this apartment has ever met him or even seen him, but my goodness we have heard him. Most nights his raucous laughter is heard breaking up the beautifully monotonous sound of waves crashing on the nearby shore. Yes, people. I live right in San Francisco and I don't hear cars --I (generally) hear waves.

When I was growing up in Matthews, North Carolina, we had birds in the backyard that we came to find out are called "Whipperwills." We lived in a housing development, but as are most homes in North Carolina, we were out in the woods. With the dense trees around and the humidity making the air thick, all you can hear at night are crickets. Sometimes in the summer in the middle of the night, a Whipperwill would just belt out its song loud enough for all of us to wake up. And don't we all love being woken up in the middle of the night? I remember pretty vividly one day when my Dad asked our next door neighbor who was from the area what we could do to quiet the bird. He asked my Dad in return if he had a gun.

Since guns are illegal in San Francisco, anyone have any bright ideas on how to quiet the Laugher? I've tried shutting the window, but it gets all hot up in here if I shuts the window! Oh...and I've tried laughing really loud when he laughs really loud just to see if he catches on.

2 comments:

Erica said...

laugher. not going to lie...i have a problem. is there is a laugher's anonymous?

heidikins said...

Maybe your Laugher just has a track that he plays constantly so people THINK he's having the time of his life. He's probably holed up with a tub of ice-cream and a chick-flick...listening to canned laughter.

xox