Tuesday, November 18, 2008

You say Ala. I say Bama.

It isn't very often that work takes me to a place that is within two hours of places like Alabama. I think that the last time I had been in Alabama was when I went to visit my cousins in Mississippi sometime in the mid 90's. The real reason that I went was to visit a dear, dear friend whom I call "Mama" and she ain't my mother. After talking the day away, we went to get some real Southern barbeque and to really celebrate my return to the South, we ate deep friend pickles.

Here's Mama showing me how to appropriately eat friend pickles. Sounds gross, but they were delicious. I almost ate the entire basket.

After dinner, we went to visit Mama's friend Phyllis and talk some more and then laugh a lot. And laugh we did. Between the three of us, I don't think you could find a more talkative bunch.


Spending the day with Mama was exactly what I needed. I almost lost my voice by Sunday from having talked so much! I hadn't seen her since I was in my teens and I have to say that it was like no time had passed at all.

Thank you Mama for having me! You're the best!

No comments: