Tuesday, November 8, 2011

An Anniversary

Two years ago today, I sent out the following email:

Friends & Family-
I don't want to make this long, but I wanted to share with all of you that I finished my first marathon today. Most of you knew about it, but yes. Read that sentence again. I ran a marathon. (And am alive to tell you about it!) ha! When it was pouring down rain at 6am when we got in the bus to go to Marathon, I was slightly discouraged. We had a two hours wait in the rain before the start and took refuge in a burned out apartment building. And the pouring rain didn't stop until at least mile 10. Starting a race like that isn't ideal for sure. True to form I made a few friends along the way - John from Canada who is a Team Diabetes coach ran about 5 or 6 miles with me when we were going up the worst part of the hill, and Melanie from France and I ran/walked the last 5 miles and even finished at the same time.
My time was horrible and we can talk about that later, but I just wanted to send out a huge thank you to everyone who encouraged me along the way. I felt so much love today and I'm just grateful that even though I was running "alone", I had so many people cheering me on from around the world. Few people are as lucky.
Oh - I've also learned that getting emotional when I'm at mile 20 might lead to a temporary case of asthma. That's what I like - to constantly learn new things about myself. We're off to Santorini tomorrow - should be awesome.
Love you all.


This has caused me to reflect on a few things. Initially this race always makes me think of this. Which then of course makes me think of this and this. And which then how can I not remember this and THIS. Time to lay down? Yes, I think so.

No comments: